Need a Vegan dessert? This one is not only super yummy but it also looks super impressive.
The pie base for this is great, I have used it in a few different sweet recipes. The best thing, it is also gluten free so you can cater to a few of your friends in one recipe.Ingredients:
⅓ cup desiccated coconut
1½ cups almond meal
1 Tb coconut oil
2 Tb maple syrup
1 can of coconut milk (refrigerate the can over night before using).
1-2 Tb maple syrup
½ Tsp vanilla essence
1 punnett strawberries, rinsed and sliced thinly
A sprinkle of sugar
A small handful of crushed walnuts or flaked almonds.Method:
first the pie crust:
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and lightly grease a 30cm pan with coconut oil.
2. Combine the coconut and the almond meal in your food processor, process to combine. Then mix the coconut oil and maple syrup together before adding to the almond and coconut mixture. Pulse again until mixture is combined and looks a little like bread crumbs. Test a small amount by squeezing between your fingers, It should hold together with a bit of pressure.
3. Transfer mixture to your lightly greased baking dish. Spread evenly across the dish and push mixture down with a spoon gentley to make it more compact.
4. Bake the base until it starts to turn lightly golden on the sides, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven, place on a rack to cool.
Now the coconut filling:
1. Gently remove the coconut milk can from the fridge (after being refridgerated overnight to allow the cream and liquid to sperate). The aim is to keep it from mixing. Using a spoon place the cream/ thick bit from the top (about 1/3 of the can) into a bowl. Leave the liquid in the can.
2. Using a beater, beat the coconut cream on a low setting for about 2 minutes, gradually increase to a medium speed after a minute ( we want lots of air in the coconut mixture so lift and move the beater around a bit too).
3. Add the vanilla essence and the maple syrup to the cream. Mix for another minute.
4. Spoon the wet mixture onto the cooled pie base, smooth with the back of a spoon to spread evenly. Slice your strawberries and arrange on top of the pie. Sprinkle the nuts over the top and if desired sprinkle with a little sugar before covering and allowing to sit in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. Serve.