A sweet treat or handy little snack to have with tea or coffee.
You can add whatever dried fruit or trail mix you have at home, experiment or just to use it up.Ingredients:
3 cups plain self-raising flour
1/4 cup plain flour (for the bench and your hands).
1/2- 2/3 cup cranberries (I use 90g of low sugar craisins)
1 cup unsweetened almond (or soy milk)
1/3 cup caster sugarMethod:
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Sift the self-raising flour into a large bowl.
3. Then add the soft chunks of butter to the flour, using your fingers rub butter into flour until all large chunks of butter are gone. You want the mixture to look like breadcrumbs.
4. Add the cranberries and sugar, gently mix.
5. Pour the 1 cup of almond or soy milk ( I use unsweetened almond) and mix together.
6. Tip dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead, be careful not to knead dough too much or your scones will be hard.
7. Spray the baking tray with canola or olive spray oil.
8. Scoop dough into small palm sized balls and rub between your floured palms to shape into round balls, place onto the baking tray about 2 cm apart.
9. Place into the hot oven, bake scones for about 15-20 minutes or until they start to brown on top. Once done remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes, you can sprinkle over some plain flour or icing sugar after cooling.